Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Death of a Saint

. . . at least she was to me. My precious Godmother passed away early Monday morning. We actually lost her to Alzheimer's first, but her death came as a blessing for her. So instead of grieving and feeling sorry for myself, I've decided to share what a wonderful person she was and be "thankful" this Thanksgiving.

Well known and well respected in her community and a Chiropractor for 43 years, she was the most gracious, loving, and giving person in my life. Because she had no children of her own, she considered me her daughter and always treated me like one (the good and the bad!!!).

As my mom's best friend, she opened her home to us when my parents divorced and from the time I was 13, we lived with her. After I married and moved out at 22, my mom continued to live with her until her untimely death 20 years ago.

Needless to say, she became even more of a mom then and continued to be these past 20 years. As mentioned earlier, her Alzheimer's took her mind away much too soon. She knew she knew me, but did not know who I was.

If I took the time to write about what she did for others throughout her lifetime, it would be a novel. We will celebrate her life today and bury her tomorrow in her South Georgia hometown alongside her parents.

So again, I will be thankful today for having her in my life as long as I did and know that I will see her again someday, along with the rest of my family that's gone before me.

Also, thanks to my bloggin' friend Jenn, who put a lovely prayer request for me on her blog. I love you, too.

No comments: