Monday, January 9, 2012

One Thousand Gifts and the Joy Dare

Gratitude is something my mother ingrained in me at an early age.  Even when things are bad, I try my best to remember that for the most part, my glass is not just half full, but overflowing.

I read about a book by Ann Voskamp titled One Thousand Gifts.  Described as a celebration of grace and a recognition of the power of gratitude.  I can't wait to read it (you can read about it along with the first chapter here on her site). 

Ann is also asking her readers to take the Joy Dare.  A joy dare to give God all the glory for his graciousness.  Each day list three things that you are grateful for or bring you joy.  You can journal it, jot on a special note sheet she supplies to print, tweet it, or download the app for your smart phone!!!  It's all on the One Thousand Gifts website and A Holy Experience blog.  I'm a few days late in beginning, but look forward to doing this.  Check it out!!   

This might be the year for something like this.  With everything we face right now with our servicemen deployed, job losses, a horrible economy, and so much more; finding daily joy, "living fully right where we are", as Ann describes her book.

Other things have pointed me in that direction.  I have a friend who began a blog he entitled The Gratitude Project (yes, a man is doing this).  A craft blog I read encouraged people to create a large (almost poster size) manifesto for 2012 and print it to keep it in view as a reminder.  I am normally an overachiever, but this time I went for the 81/2 x 11 printed manifesto.  Listing things like Pray More, Rest More, Worry Less, Walk in Faith, and just the words ~ Integrity, Gratitude and Humility!

So let's a find some joy in the journey as we press on to the goal!  

1 comment:

Debra said...

Being grateful and joyful is a worthwhile goal. I am interested to read the first chapter!